Tuesday, August 21, 2007


This is my second try at the Ribwarmer Vest. The first time, I didn't get row gauge, and it was way too long. This time, I decided to be extra careful and worked my way painstakingly through the ribwarmer worksheet in issue #5 of Knitter's Magazine, using my measurements and my gauge. After I'd done all the math, I found I could just use the medium size in the pattern in that issue! And I think it turned out fine. I used Elizabeth's own adaptation for adding a collar, and love how the collar looks. It looked quite odd as I knitted each of the two identical pieces, so I was relieved it ended up ok! I'd like to make more, adding sleeves on one, and doing another in ribbing. The yarn is Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes in color Stream.

This issue of Knitter's, from Fall/Winter 1986, has lots of great information about the pattern, and adaptations. One addresses knitting the back in one piece, but I really like the way the two pieces look when they are seamed together. I'll have to add a picture of the back of the vest. I know the Spun Out issue (#42) devoted to the ribwarmer vest also has lots of variations.

The new Knit Picks catalog is absolutely delicious looking. I love seeing the full skeins of yarn--it gives me a much better sense of what they are like. I called yesterday to find out what color is shown on page 2 of the catalog, bottom row, third from the left. It is fern. I think I'll be ordering some soon! The computer wall paper choices Knit Picks is offering are also wonderful--I have one up at work and another here at home.

1 comment:

carla said...

I've been thinking of making one of these; I'm so intrigued by EZ's garter stitch puzzles. Yours looks great!