Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Altamont Fair Report


Well, I have to admit the first thing we did today at the Altamont Fair was stop in at the Sheep Barn to see how my entries fared. I was delighted--the blue and white hat won first prize in the open division of the small, wearable items category, and the twined mitts won first prize in the same category, novice division. The felted bag won third prize in the fulled article category, novice division. I saw some lovely vests and sweaters, and a felted bag that reminded me of the colors of watermelon--it looked almost good enough to eat!

I hadn't been to the Fair since I was a kid, and all I could remember was the rides and overeating. My husband had taken his kids there when they were small, but that was decades ago. So most everything seemed new to us. We oohed and aahed in the poultry barn and the rabbit area, petted llamas and sheep and goats in the petting zoo (I think we were the only adults there without children in tow), visited several of the museums on the grounds as well as the old schoolhouse, and generally had a nice time. I passed up my usual favorite, fried dough, for a delicious strawberry shortcake served at the Grange Hall.

Now back to knitting my Elizabeth Zimmermann Rib Hugger vest. The first one I made, some months ago, was way too big for me, because I sadly neglected to notice my row count. I felted it, in the hopes of making it wearable, but it still didn't look right on me. Fortunately, it fit a woman I know from the yarn shop I frequent, The Spinning Room, really well, so it now resides with her. I bought more yarn in a very similar color, this time KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, color Stream, so I hope to have my own vest for September.

No comments: