Thursday, September 6, 2007

Yarn of the Month Selections


I've been a member of the Yarn of the Month Club for a bit over a year now. Each shipment includes enough of four different yarns to knit up into a swatch. The idea is to learn about various yarns and to see if one likes knitting with them. I have to admit I've only knit two up so far, but I like the idea of being able to if I want to! Sometimes there is a theme to the mailing, other times not. This month, the four are billed as being innovative: Rowan's Calmer, GGH Yarns Bel Air, Crystal Palace's Puffin, and Habu's Shosenshi. The accompanying newsletter, Knit Dish, gives a description of each of these yarns, and explains why each is innovative. I really liked this detailed write-up. Most of the time the newsletter doesn't go into this much depth about each of the yarns. I did realize, the minute I opened the package, that Shosenshi is innovative. After all, it made crinkly noises! It is actually linen paper, but then, one wouldn't expect anything that wasn't innovative from Habu. I've been seeing a number of patterns lately made with Rowan's Calmer, and I've actually been interested in trying it out. I don't usually like knitting with cotton, but I am hoping this will be different. It is 75% cotton and 25% acrylic microfiber, and it is described as being exceptionally soft. Knitting a swatch of this might be a good way to relax after working on my Composed Mitts--I'm into a section with three colors per row, and it is taking all my concentration to catch the floats.

No comments: