Monday, September 3, 2007

Successful trip to Webs

On Saturday I went to Webs in Northampton, MA with my mom, a friend, and her mom. All of us except for my friend are knitters, and she's a very patient person. She had to be, since none of the rest of us wanted to leave the store. This is my 4th or 5th time there, but I never cease to be amazed at all they have.

This time they surprised me by having a Fitted Knits trunk show! I'm in the middle of knitting my third project from this book, so I was tickled pink to see these items. I had a chance to try on several items that I had been thinking about making: the Cozy V-Neck Cardigan, the Two-Toned Ribbed Shrug, and the Cropped Cardigan with Leaf Ties. I was especially hopeful that the last would look nice, as last week I bought some yarn to make it: Classic AL by Elsebeth Lavold, so it won't be as fancy as the one in the book, but I think it will get a lot of wear. The Two-Toned Ribbed Shrug wasn't my favorite, so I am glad I never did buy yarn for it. (It may also have been that the one on show was a bit snug for me.) I also didn't really have any plans to make the Elizabeth Bennett Cabled Cardigan, but it looked very nice on. The sleeves in whatever size it was (if only they'd mark the size on trunk show garments more often!) was a bit too long, so I'd have to watch out for that if I do make it. There were also several other items from the book: the Turtleneck Tube Vest (couldn't exactly try this one on in the middle of the store), the Saturday in the Park dress (ditto), and the U-Neck Back to School Vest (which I've already made). I really wish they'd had the Carrie Cropped Cardigan.

I bought yarn for three projects. Two shouldn't be named or pictured, as they are for holiday presents for people who might read this. The third is the sweater Manon from Norah Gaughan's collection No. 1. I had tried it on at her trunk show at Colorful Stitches in Lenox, and fell in love with it. Webs didn't have enough of the Pure Merino in the color I liked (i.e., the color in the pattern book), so I ended up with Ultra Alpaca in a lovely green tweedy shade. It is a slightly lighter yarn, but since I am a very loose knitter, I think it will work out. So did the very helpful sales clerk.

Then, when I got home from Webs, I found my copy of Folk Knits had arrived, and I started drooling over several of the projects. But I really have to finish some others first, before buying yet more yarn.

The Textured Tunic from Fitted Knits is coming along quite well, although I've been trying it on every inch or two. I've been doing lots of decreases below the bust, but soon I'll hit my waist, and will have to start increasing for the hips. This means this is not a transportable project, nor are the Composed Mitts with their 6 balls of yarn, so I cast on for another Elizabeth Zimmermann Ribwarmer Vest, this time in two-toned gray Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks.

No comments: