Saturday, April 19, 2008

Louisa Harding Workshop and Musings about Podcasts

Today was the second workshop I'd signed up for at Colorful Stitches in Lenox. Louisa Harding had planned a session to show us how various yarns, all from her line, work together. The pattern was a simple one for a bag with fringe. While it was fun to pick out the needed five little balls of yarn, there really wasn't much teaching going on, just an opportunity to see how your creation and those of others worked out. Louisa did spend some time telling us about how she came to be where she is today, and talked a tiny bit about women's fashions. I am afraid I was terribly disappointed, as the workshop and the materials weren't inexpensive. The bag isn't one I'd ever use (and I can't think who amongst my friends might), and I wonder if I'll even finish it. It was a pleasant enough few hours, but nothing near as charged as the session with Kristin Nicholas two weeks ago. I actually had dithered about signing up, seeing what the bag looked like, but hoped there would be lots more practical information about combining yarns. I also did want to have the chance to meet her, and that I did. I wonder how others who attended felt?

I usually listen to podcasts while knitting, and lately I've noticed that most of my favorite ones are by guys (or blokes, as David Reidy would say). I really wonder why this is? Sticks and String is one of my absolute favorites, and I am really glad that there are many for me to catch up on. I also really enjoyed the two episodes of YKnit that I've listened to in the last few days , and also like It's a Purl, Man. The others I listen to regularly at Ready, Set, Knit (can't miss those early announcements of sale yarns at Webs!), hosted by the husband and wife store owners, Cast-On and KnitPicks, the latter two hosted by women. But considering that men make up a fairly small percentage of knitters, it seems interesting they make up at least half of my favorites. I find that I like a fair amount of a podcast to focus beyond the host. Interviews are great, I enjoy book, yarn, and product reviews, and music is a nice interlude. I think most of these podcasts seem more professionally produced than others I've tried, and that makes a difference to me--as does a fairly good sense on the part of the host of what he or she will be saying before he or she says it! I expect, though, that other listeners might prefer all the things I don't like. I'll keep trying out podcasts that are new to me, and hope to find a few others that I'd like to keep listening to.


OTN: The Taconic Pullover sleeves are about 3/4 done. Sleeves are usually just so boring! And I've become really excited once again about the Tassled Fez from a pattern by Chalene Schurch. I guess it took a while for the stranding overload from the Philosopher's Wool cardigan to wear off!

1 comment:

Louisa said...

Hi, I am really sorry you found my workshop at Colourful Stitches last week dissapointing.
I always endevour to follow up when knitters feel disatisfied. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind taking a little time to give me some constructive critisim on the event and how it could be improved apon. Do you think the time was too short? Were there to many attendees? I was asked by the girls at the store to give a talk of my backgound and career, would you have prefered this to be more involved with working the bag and discussing yarn? do you think that the title of workshop was misleading? I look forward to any comments that you are able to give me.
Kind regards Louisa