Sunday, December 16, 2007

Expensive Trip to Webs


A friend and I went to Webs in Northampton yesterday. It was her first time there, and I wanted to go to the book launch for 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oates. We spent close to 4 hours there (it was a really good thing they had some very nice refreshments for the book launch!), but we were really delighted with the multitude of yarns we picked out. We each had some projects we wanted to find yarn for, and we came away with everything we needed. That was something of a shock in itself. Our find of the day was a new sale item, Zenith by Di.Ve', which is a supersoft superwash worsted-weight merino. Between us, we got enough for one sweater(Erin in the new book Heartfelt by Kim Hargreaves), two hats, two scarves, and a pair of cabled mitts! And I may be forgetting something. We also bought other yarns for lots of other projects! If you have never been to Webs, it is well worth the trip if it is a manageable distance for you.

There was a drawing for prizes connected to the book launch, and I couldn't believe it when I heard my name being called. I won Addi Turbos 40" size 4 needles, two skeins of Valley Yarns Superwash, and a package of stitch markers. These are all the supplies needed to knit the pair of sample socks that start of the book. I'd been uncertain as to whether I'd actually buy the book, but of course I then had to, so I could try the sample socks out. I think it will be fun. I tend to suffer from Second Sock Syndrome, so I'd love to learn this way of kntting two socks at once on one long circular needle. Webs and Melissa offer an extra pattern to those who buy the book at Webs, an incentive not to go to Amazon for this title!

Today is miserable--snow earlier (and due again later), sleet, ice pellets, high winds expected--a perfect day to stay in and knit. So I'd best get back to exactly that. I am working on a couple of small felted bowls for a friend for the holiday. Good thing they don't take long to knit!

No comments: