Thursday, November 22, 2007

Some recent projects


I've been laid a bit low with a bad cough and some sort of bug, which has given me some time to getting some knitting projects done (since I wasn't doing much of anything else).

I finished the Haiku sweater for our granddaughter, and enjoyed the sideways knitting, which I've done before in a vest and a cardigan for me. I had originally wanted to knit a pullover, with the body one color, the arms another, and with some added embroidery. But the gauge wasn't right for the pattern I had in mind, so I found this one, which is very adaptable for different yarns and gauges. I made this in Vanna's Choice, and I have to say I don't like acrylic yarns. Or maybe it was just this acrylic yarn. It seemed quite splitty. But I am sure the baby's mother will want to machine wash the sweater.


I also did a quick hat pattern, from the November 9 page of this year's Knitters calendar, designed by Christa Giles. I couldn't resist the textures, so I made it knowing it isn't the kind of hat I (or anyone else I know) would wear. And when I finished it and tried it on, I realized I was right--I won't wear it! But maybe it will find a home some day. Speaking of splitty yarns, the Lambs Pride Superwash I used for this certainly was.




I finally tacked the fingers for my step-daughter's Composed Mitts, and I think that will work fine. They didn't turn out exactly the same size--I hope she won't be too observant!

And now I am back to working on a lace scarf in Baby Alpaca Brush that I started last winter. I am not a big fan of lace knitting, I guess, but I am determined to finish this project. The yarn is lovely to work with. The other project I am determined to finish is my Fair Isle sweater, the sleeves are done and at least a third of the body is as well. Maybe I'll take it along to the Black Friday knit-in tomorrow at my local yarn shop. Of course, I also had to divert my energies and start another project--a felted bag from a pattern by Paton's, using their SWS. What lovely yarn to knit with! But on the days I was feeling worst, this basic knitting (with only a few slipped stitches every other round) was about all I could handle.

I've bought a sewing machine, and have been busy reacquainting myself with using one--the last time I did I was in high school and taking home ec classes! However, I remember lots of the concepts and terms--my mom was a fabulous seamstress, and was always making my clothes when I was younger--a lot must have brushed off on me. She doesn't sew much anymore, but I am so happy I'll be able to ask her questions as I get going with this. I'd like to make some items from some recycled sweaters I've felted--that was the whole impetus for getting the machine, though I've just bought a new book called Sew Everything Workshop by Diana Rupp that is getting me a bit excited about making a few other projects, too.

I've been getting more and more sucked into Ravelry. I think it is fabulous how I can see other people's work on the projects I am making, or considering making. I was checking on SWS yarn, to figure out other uses for it, and was blown away by how nicely it comes out in entrelac scarves. So of course, I had to go out and get three skeins of Naturally Plum. Not that I had had any intention of making another entrelac scarf now... Maybe I'll try Lucy Neatby's garter stitch entrelac scarf pattern, which doesn't have the side triangles. That would be different. I guess I'll head over to Ravelry now and see what other people's look like!

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it.

No comments: