Monday, August 18, 2008

Knitting Olympics


My LYS, The Spinning Room, has a Knitting Olympics challenge on. Start during the opening ceremony, finish by the end of the Olympics. I like challenges. So I thought I would give it a try. The first project I picked was a cardigan. That's a challenge, yes? To get done during the time allotted. So I ran it by a friend (you know who you are!). She was dismissive. Very dismissive. Said the cardigan was rather small. And the yarn was big. Who was I trying to kid? Ok, back to the drawing board, a bit sad, because I'd really like to knit this cardigan, and having a deadline hanging over my head would be perfect. Well, how about stranded mittens? I've done a couple of pairs, but with worsted weight yarn. And one of the pairs was really simple. How about if I challenged myself by using fingering weight yarn and a complex pattern. I hate using tiny needles. This would be a challenge, indeed. Friend with high standards thought perhaps, but making stranded gloves with tiny yarn would be a better challenge. So guess what I am making?!?! And pulling my hair out over? Yup, you got it, gloves with fingering weight yarn and tiny needles. Here's the first one. This is Annemor #8 from the Selbuvotter book. The second one only has half of the pinkie done. It probably wasn't a bright idea to leave most of the fingers and both thumbs to the end, but on Saturday I needed something less challenging to knit than fingers, for some knitting with friends, and succumbed to starting the second hand.

Actually, I shouldn't be blogging, I have to get back to knitting fingers! There is less than a week before the Olympics end, and I am not sure if the fingers are going to drive me insane before then. There is a pretty good chance they will.

But before I go--you may want to know what my friend with high standards is knitting for the Olympic challenge. Or can you guess? NOTHING!!! (But I'm not really mad--she keeps me on my toes.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you dissed me in your blog!