Sunday, January 13, 2008

Changed Store or Changed Knowledge?

Several months after I started knitting, I visited Amazing Threads, a yarn shop in Lake Katrine, NY (near Kingston). It isn't a very large store, but I was really impressed by the unusual yarns and the lovely sample items and the patterns they had available. When I had a chance this weekend to finally get there for a second time, almost two years later, I couldn't wait. However, this time I wasn't overwhelmed by what was available. Lots of Plymouth yarn, and Alchemy Yarns of Transformation, and some others. (They also had a box of a beautiful plum/copper/brown yarn, labeled "Amazing Threads Special," which I couldn't resist (only $3 for 77 yards!) and which is already being made up into fingerless mitts.) There were very nice people working yesterday, but overall, I felt a twinge of disappointment. I'd had such fabulous memories of my first trip. But after thinking about it for a time, I realized the store and its stock probably hasn't changed all that much. What has changed is how much I know about yarns, and how many more yarns I've worked with since I was an absolute novice. I will cherish that memory of my first trip, and instead of being disappointed about the second, I will celebrate how much I've learned and how much I've gotten from this wonderful craft in the last 21 or so months.

No comments: