Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mitered squares and polymer clay and new obsessions, oh my!


I am not sure why I signed up the Jane Slicer-Smith's kick-off session for Stitches East. I'd looked at the cover of her new book, Swing, Swagger, Drape, and I didn't think it would have things that would interest me. But I am a sucker for signing up for sessions and classes, and I wanted to make the most of my first Stitches event, so sign up I did. Well, I now have this designer to blame for two new obsessions (and believe me, I don't need any more). She mentioned during her talk that there is a small section in the book on making your own buttons, and it is easy. That was the innocuous start of the first obsession. And after she was done speaking, audience members were welcome to try on the many garments from the book that had been brought along. That was a lot of fun, with strangers helping each other and passing comment on how various items looked. I've never thought much of mitered squares--they seem too busy looking for me, and tend to remind me of granny squares, which I really don't like. But Jane Slicer-Smith has some very sophisticated looking ones in her book's projects. And the fit and drape of the CoCo Vee capelet from the book was just lovely, so I had to make it. I was delighted to find that mine fits just as nicely as the model garment for the book! Knitting the squares was addictive, and I worked almost exclusively on this project till it was done, which is very rare for me.

So, more about the new obsessions. My husband will tell you I never do new things that interest me by halves. So when I learned about the polymer clay buttons (I'd never heard of polymer clay before looking up the button directions in Swing, Swagger, Drape), I went out and bought virtually every tool I'll ever need for making polymer clay projects, as well as lots of blocks of clay. Oh yes, and about 15 books on the subject. (Well, in my defense, I can say that almost all of them were remainder books, and much cheaper than cover price. Ummm, but that wasn't true of all the other supplies...) I am intrigued at all the wonderful things that can be made from clay, but also a bit intimidated, since I don't consider myself particularly artistic. But it is so much fun! I've made a bookmark, buttons, beads, and pendants. I have a long way to go, but just found a cool site called ClayLessons, and have worked through two of the free lessons, and bought a few of the others. One of the lessons, on creating a snowflake cane, wasn't very successful for me, but I was able to reuse the clay to make interesting blue and white beads. So while I really really really don't need another hobby, this one has taken hold and I don't see my interest letting up anytime soon. Thanks, Jane!

As for the mitered squares, being the book person that I am, I had to get Iris Schreirer's Modular Knits and a couple of Vivian Hoxbro's, and some yarn to make a few of the potholders in Domino Knitting. I also love one of the felted bags in Knit to Be Square, so that is on the list, too. And you know the cover of Swing, Swagger, Drape, with the mitered swing jacket? I've changed my mind. I need to make it, too.

Sorry, I have to go. Mitered squares and polymer clay are calling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours lately, yet I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours.
It's lovely worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the net will probably be much more helpful than ever before.
Feel free to surf my weblog : grumpy cat