Sunday, June 8, 2008

Doorways to Enjoyment, Part II

Sorry to keep you waiting for the second two doorways. I wonder if you found the first two an interesting way to think about the books you gravitate to.

The third doorway leads to books that focus on setting. There are not as many books in this category, but if you are a fan of historical fiction, many of those books fall into this doorway, as they make a setting distant in time seem real. Fantasy novels also fall into this doorway for many readers. Books that situate the reader in a distant location in the present also qualify. Some works that fit here include the Tony Hillerman mysteries, Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series, Donna Leon's Venetian-set mysteries, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and E. Annie Proulx's The Shipping News. When someone talks about a setting doorway book, they often talk about how real the place was for them.

Books in the language doorway comprise the smallest category. These are the books that often win the major awards, and are described as "well written." Many readers fell this type of book moves slowly. Authors whose books fall into this category include Edith Wharton, William Trevor, Wallace Stegner, Michael Cunningham and Joan Didion.

I would love to hear if these categories resonate with you. Personally, I tend to look for books that focus on setting (all those historical novels I read!) and story (I'm a big mystery fan). I do read my share of the language-doorway books, but character isn't a category I tend to search out. Right now I am reading The Little Book by Selden Edwards, which I'd place in "setting." It is set partially in 1897, partially in the second half of the 20th century. The early period action occurs in Vienna, which is vividly brought to life. The next book I plan to pick up is a historical fantasy by Mercedes Lackey--another setting book!

No comments: